Thursday, July 26, 2012

Scrap Wreath Tutorial

I've been meaning to use up my heap of fabric scraps and turn them into something pretty for my daughter's room.  A scrap wreath seemed like an easy and fun project for both of us to create together.

I started off with a 12 inch wire florist wreath from the craft store.  These retail for $2 and you're using scraps, so this project is super cheap.


Next you'll want to cut strips of fabric into pieces that are approximately 1/2-3/4 inch in width and 5-7 inches in length.  I cut as I went so that I could see how the colors were coming together, but if you have a specific color theme and are only using a few fabrics you might want to cut them all at once.  I wasn't too precise for this project.

I wanted the wreath to be whimsical with a mix of soft colors and some brights mixed in.  You'll notice that the wreath is divided up into eight sections.  I started by picking one fabric and tying a strip of it to one wire in each section, then I would move on to the next fabric and do the same.  This helped make my random choice of fabrics look symmetrical and not too bunched up visually.  You can see what I mean in the photo below.  Pardon the cell phone photo...It wasn't until I finished that I thought maybe I should blog about this and take "real" photos.  


Keep plugging along cutting and tying...I noticed that adding solids helped tone down the craziness, depending on the look you are going for.  Then you'll want to trim any pieces that seem too long.

And here's how it will look...Perfect touch of happiness and whimsy for a little girl's room!



No comments:

Post a Comment