Thursday, April 5, 2012

Favorites: Children's Books

Ahh...books.  I love everything about them. 

They can provide a little escape from reality and take you to far off or imaginary worlds.  They can jolt you in to reality and make you aware of ideas and concepts and lives you hadn't known before.  Old, new, fiction or non, I love them all. 

Reading to my children is one of my favorite things to do.  We usually snuggle on the playroom couch or my daughter's bed mid-afternoon and read.  Each night we wind down with books and snuggle in my son's rocking chair (although we're starting to outgrow it!). 

My son's current favorite is the Star Wars Character Encyclopedia and he prefers to read that with his Dad, which I am perfectly fine with {wink}.  My daughter's current favorites are Madeline and Angelina Ballerina.  Here is a list of some of my favorites for boys and girls alike.

Taken last year when we could all still fit

Elmer
Hey Pancakes!
Curious George series
Caps for Sale
Goodnight Moon
Franklin series
I Love You Stinky Face
any by Richard Scarry
Harold & The Purple Crayon
Danny & The Dinosaur
Harry the Spotted Dog series
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
Baby Bear's Chairs
Baby Bear's Books
The Dot
Thomas the Train series
The Good Humor Man
The Fire Engine Book
Miss Spider series
Blueberries for Sal
any by Jan Brett
Not a Box
How Do Dinosaurs... series
Pete's A Pizza
Madeline
The Story of Ferdinand
Seven Little Postman
Tawny Scrawny Lion
Mike Mulligan & His Steam Shovel
Owl Moon
The Color Kittens
Peter Rabbit
The Little Island
any by DePaola
Where the Wild Things Are
Corduroy
The Happy Lion
Is Your Mama a Llama?
Llama Llama Red Pajama series
Adventures of Taxi Dog
The Velveteen Rabbit
Babar series
The Kissing Hand
Make Way for Ducklings
The Little Red Caboose
The Story About Ping

You might also enjoy my post about Little House on the Prairie series here.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these, Laurel! There are many on your list that I haven't heard of. We love Blueberries for Sal, too. Some of Freya's favorites right now... The Poppleton series, Mercer Mayer's Little Critters series, When Sophie Gets Angry, and Frog and Toad. The Story About Ping was a favorite at my house growing up!

    ReplyDelete