Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Southwest Dinner Menu

My family was in town this last week and I made the most amazing Southwest meal for them (if I do say so myself). Everything could be made ahead of time - minus grilling the chicken and corn - which is a huge bonus in my book.

Unfortunately, because I was not thinking, I didn't snap any prep or after shots. Only about 3/4 of the way through did I think, hmmm...I should blog this! Oh well. Here are the recipes direct from the sources. The flavors worked amazingly well together.

They suggest serving with beans, tortillas, lettuce, etc. However, I served this grilled chicken on it's own with the delicious sauce. I also left off the cheese - why smother perfection?  When I make this dish on a weeknight I usually only do the marinade, but you really must make the extra effort to whip up the sauce.  Well worth it!  Marinating the chicken overnight makes it extra moist when grilled.

Our store was out of cotija cheese so I used queso fresco, which is easy to grate or crumble by hand. The grilled corn took longer than estimated, but turned out oh so delicious.  Shown fourth down in this photo.

Don't let the one star (from one reviewer) dissuade you! Like the reviewer, I too used Greek yogurt which made the dressing a bit thick, but it wsa easily remedied by adding cold water a teaspoon at a time and blending further. The color was vibrant and the coriander oil and cilantro provided the right Southwest twist I was looking for. For the salad I mixed spring greens (arugula would work nicely too), red onion, red pepper and toasted pepitas (typically found in bulk section or Trader Joe's).
Roasted Corn and Radish Salad with Avocado-Herb Dressing Recipe

1 comment: