Monday, February 27, 2012

Flop or Fortuitous?

"You just never know."  That's the common sentiment among vendors when I attend a craft show.  The man in the booth next to us attends 90 shows a year.  For 2012 he has already attended 15.  Sometimes he pulls away nearly sold out, wiped clean.  Other times he sells much less than anticipated.  This weekend he sold one item.  A disappointing first for a man who has been at it for 10 years.  Personally, I sold just enough to cover the cost of my booth.  A first for me as well and my booth was one of the busiest.  So, while on the one hand the event was considered a flop, it was also a bit fortuitous. 

The lack of customers meant vendors had plenty of time to mingle, admire each others' work and swap tips.  For me, Petal Pusher has never simply been about turning a profit.  It's also been about building community and meeting other like-minded creative individuals.  The afternoon may not have been spent writing up sales and wrapping orders, but it's value came in the form of laughs and camaraderie.

Sporting my hat and shades - 80 degrees in February, what!?

Petal Pusher Rings

Petal Pusher Upcycled Jars & Cake Stands

Petal Pusher Upcycled Jars & Cake Stands

My booth buddy, Dana from Applewhite

Colorful cuffs from Applewhite, perfect for spring 

Applewhite message board

Darling handcrated dolls by While Lena Naps

I mean that crown!  How adorable is that?

Colorful banners and accessories from Penn & Livie Finery

Sweet little felt hair clippies

Snap-on bow ties


Mardell's Closet offers sewing lessons and custom clothing.  This outfit is sharp from head to toe.  She took a men's XXL polo and fashioned it into a kicky skirt, jazzed up a plain tee with a heart shaped from safety pins and topped it off with a retro vintage gumball necklace.  And, yes, the skirt price is only $15.  You can reach Mardell at mardell.wenger@gmail.com or 646-242-5657. 

The only thing better than this chunky ring from McClimon Design Jewelry?  Jill McClimon.  She was a true gem and helped us turn a lemon day into lemonade.


The photo does not do this necklace justice.  Beautiful stone statement necklace for only $29.  Support your local artists, people!  It's a win-win.

If it hadn't been so dang hot I would have snagged this chunky knit scarf (handcrafted by Jill McClimon) and worn it all day.
I think Kim Alvey of Soaps Just 4 U wins the Biggest Giver Award.  The woman donated over 200 sample size soaps for the giveaway bags *and* provided a coupon for a free full size soap as well.  Her handmade glycerin soaps are custom colored and scented.  I snagged a couple of these bunny ducky soaps for Easter baskets.

I think these would make sweet party favors.  All her soaps are only $2 each!


3 comments:

  1. This is a great post Laurel! It was a flop but the shopping was fun and we DID meet some fabulous people :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post Laurel! And, I put a note to contact Mardell when I get back - I want sewing lessons!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! It was so great meeting you Laurel, you are so very talented! I hope to bump into you again soon!
    XoXo,
    Karlee

    ReplyDelete