Thursday, January 12, 2012

Oh the People You'll Meet!

Over the last year, through Petal Pusher, I've had the amazing opportunity of meeting an array of creative individuals focused on building community.  It's been inspiring, motivating and kept me moving forward when I've felt overwhelmed.  Just want to share a bit of who I've discovered and what they are doing to make Scottsdale a great place to live.

You may remember my post about Shauna from JAM.  She transformed a historic home in Old Town Scottsdale into an indie boutique that features sing-a-longs on the porch, crafty classes and artist markets.  JAM was also just named Best Local Boutique by Arizona Foothills Magazine  You can read more about my experience with Shauna here.



Deanna was a vendor at our Magnolia Market show this last winter.  In addition to her darling personalized magnet creations, she also has a blog called Me to the Power of We.  Her posts remind us to slow down, listen, lift each other up and think positively.


I met Jason Levine of the Just Play Music Show through mutual friends. (His wife and son were also in the same class as my son and I at My Gym back when the boys were babies.  Sometimes it's such a small world, isn't it?) Despite a busy career involving international travel, Jason is compiling fun music for the preschool set.  He's one chill guy - if you can't tell just by looking at his awesome chops.  Take a listen here.



Mary-Frances Mullins of Frenchie's Sweets and I were both vendors at a recent in-home boutique.  It didn't take long before we realized we had actually met last summer when our sons played soccer together - I'm telling you - small world!  Neither of us ever mentioned our businesses back then, but I'm sure glad we had a second chance to find out.  Frenchie's Sweets delivers custom baked goods that will knock your socks off and Mary-Frances is just as sweet as her creations.  She will work with whatever theme you dream up and can accommodate for nut, wheat, gluten and dairy allergies.  I think we need these little yummies for my daughter's vintage cowgirl birthday party.



At my first visit to JAM, I met Kelly Bird of Bird's Nest.  She was there with some of her darling repurposed and vintage-inspired home decor items.  Think glitter, chalkboard paint, mason jars, burlap and old silver pieces.  I was immediately drawn to her booth.  A week later, I ran in to her at a party - turns out we have many friends in common and our husbands already knew each other - notice a recurring theme here?  Then I got to talking to her and discovered she was THE Kelly Bird.  Do you ever have those moments?  A few years ago when I first heard of Stella & Dot, Kelly Bird was pretty much synonymous with the name.  She was the keeper of the jewels.  So it was pretty wild running in to her after all these years and having so many common connections.  Kelly is quite an inspiration.  Not only with her creative ideas and sense of style, but also with her outlook and passion for what she does with both Bird's Nest and Stella & Dot




Can't wait to see what connections and people I'll meet along the way in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment