Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Neutral Color Schemes & Pillow Addiction

Over the last few years I've found myself drawn to neutral color palettes.  I've accepted that bright colors and commitment to them is just not my thing. The contrast between tan, white, black and gray, when combined with various textures, can be soothing and interesting. It creates a simple, classic backdrop allowing for seasonal punches of color. 

Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn have defined this trend for awhile.  My favorite local store that epitomizes the look is Found in Mesa. Take a peek at the store and the owner's home.




Don't you just want to jump inside and live in these photographs?

Along with my love of neutrals has been a growing addiction for making pillows. I recently made little lumbar pillows for our foyer chairs...







It was as simple as sewing two rectangles together, stuffing with polyfill or down insert, then handstitching the last bit shut.  I added a few Funky Blooms that were embellished with vintage metal buttons.  Love the rusty, matte patina they have.

Made a couple 20x20 pillows for our family room sectional, plus a few purchased off Etsy...





Black jute webbing can be found in the home fabric section of the store by the tassels and fringe.  First, I hot glued it to one of the squares, making sure to get the edges the entire length and leave 1/4 inch of webbing at the top and bottom.  Then I laid the two squares front facing inwards and sewed them both together.


This linen bicycle print pillow is a favorite and an Etsy find.  Chevron, numbers, linens, natural cottons, vintage bicycles, ikat, Funky Blooms and Petals, stripes...Hardly boring, right?

I'd still like to add more gray and white to our scheme, but...This is a start!


1 comment: