Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Opa! Greek Couscous Salad

I was hankering for some fresh Mediterranean food so, using mostly what was in my fridge and pantry, this is the result.  True Greeks might scoff, but it has been a huge hit among my friends.  Easy and fresh - if you read my blog you know by now those are important words for me when it comes to cooking.  Enjoy and please forgive me for not having any photos - got eaten too fast. 

For the salad you'll need:
1 box Near East Couscous
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/4 red onion, chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
(garbanzo beans might be a nice addition too)

For the dressing you'll need:
3 tbl olive oil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt
pepper
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup red wine vinegar

Cook couscous as directed and allow it to cool in fridge. Add dressing to couscous and toss to coat. Add all other ingredients and mix gently. Serves 4-6. 

I like this salad as a lunch with Stacey's Baked Pita Chips and Trader Joe's Cilantro & Jalapeno Hummus.  Also makes a super side with grilled lemon pepper chicken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment