Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco de Mayo

It's Cinco de Mayo I'm cooking up some old favorites with some new classics.  Ole!

This recipe for Southwestern Lime Chicken with Ancho Chili Sauce from Bon Appetit is a stand-by at our house because we love to grill year-round.  If I'm making it during the week I just do the marinade and omit the ancho chili sauce.  I usually leave off the cheese too, but for Cinco de Mayo?  Bring it on!  I will also be using this marinade on flank steak and grilling it up alongside some colorful peppers and onions and serving fajita style with sour cream and guacamole.

Southwestern Lime Chicken with Ancho Chili Sauce Recipe
Yummly.com
Another fave in our house is this Salsa Verde Braised Pork from Sunset.  I often make this for friends and it's always a hit.  I follow the slow cooker directions listed.  A great option since Cinco de Mayo falls on a weeknight.

Salsa Verde Braised Pork Recipe

I'm pretty particular about my tortillas.  Corn tortillas are traditional and healthy, but usually crumble and leave a big mess.  Flour tortillas are usually stretchy and rubbery.  Common store brands are no bueno.  The BEST are these small white corn and flour combo tortillas from La Tortilla Factory.  They taste homemade and have an authentic texture.


Years ago we had a potluck at work and a co-worker brought in his "award-winning" salsa.  I loved the chunky freshness of it and it's always a hit when I make it for parties.  I wish I remember his name so I could give him some credit, but alas that was years ago...Long before Google, Facebook and blogging!

Fresh Chunky Salsa
15oz canned corn kernels (I like a mix of white and yellow)
15oz black beans, drained and rinsed
15oz diced tomatoes
2 small cans of Herdez Casera salsa
1 small can of Herdez Verde salsa
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
2 avocados, cubed
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 lime, freshly squeezed
Gently mix all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate 1.5 hours before serving.  You might need the scoop style chips for this bad-boy!

Check my previous post about Avocado Tomatillo Dip with Cumin Pita Chips from Cooking Light for another favorite dip recipe.

Hmm...What's left?  MARGS!  Nice cold margaritas will be perfect for us here in Arizona since it's supposed to be a high of 94 today (my apologies to those of you in colder, rainier climates!).  I have some prickly pear syrup left over from another recipe I made last week, so I plan on making The Lemonista's Prickly Pear Margaritas.  Bobby Flay does a version that omits the Margarita Mix so I may try that one too.  Yum!

Mycocktailconnection.com
And remember...Contrary to popular thought, Cinco de Mayo is not a celebration of Mexico's independence.  Read here for more.

bfeedme.com
Enjoy the day and celebrate safely!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for turning me on to those tortillas! We love them! And I'm salivating for those prickly pear margaritas now :-)

    ReplyDelete